Who doesn’t love pancakes? Especially with chocolate chips! These are my husband’s favorite pancakes. In fact, they are the only pancakes he’ll eat. Whenever I offer to make pancakes for breakfast he always ask if I have stuff to make THE pancakes. If I say no, he says he’ll just have eggs!
I kind of have to agree with him…these pancakes are really good. They’re not your average pancake recipe with some chocolate chips thrown in. Oh no, these babies have vanilla extract and a little pinch of cinnamin-o-min (that’s cinnamon in our house, but you probably figured that out). They also have two secret (shhh…don’t tell anyone I told you!) ingredients that put them over the top: malted milk powder and tangy buttermilk. Light, fluffy, and oozing with lots of chocolate goodness. Yum! Make a few extra to freeze and reheat them for an easy weekday breakfast. Your kids will think you’re the coolest Mom ever.
So let’s get started.
First sift together your dry ingredients. Flour, malted milk powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt.
Add 1 cup of chocolate chips. I prefer semi-sweet but you use whatever floats your proverbial boat. Dark, mini chips, milk chocolate. It’s all good.
When the griddle is nice and hot start pouring your pancakes! I like to use a 1/4 cup measuring cup so all my pancakes are relatively the same size. I add the batter to the griddle and then kind of smooth it out with the bottom of the measuring cup.
Let them cook. The tops will start to bubble and that’s when you know it’s time to start checking to see if they’re ready to flip. It takes maybe 3 minutes per side? You’ll have to watch since this will vary depending on what you’re cooking these on and how hot the surface is.
If you want to keep the pancakes warm while you cook the rest just pile them up on a baking sheet and put them in your oven on the lowest setting. My oven has a warm setting that’s 170 degrees. It works perfectly.
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup malted milk powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1½ cups buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, malted milk powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- Measure out buttermilk.
- Add one teaspoon vanilla extract.
- Crack one egg into a small bowl and beat lightly.
- Add the egg to the buttermilk; whisk to combine.
- Add wet ingredients to dry; stir just until combined. Batter will be lumpy.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Preheat electric griddle to 350.
- Grease griddle with butter, oil, or non-stick cooking spray.
- Drop ¼ cup of batter at a time onto griddle. Use the bottom of the measuring cup to smooth it out onto griddle.
- Cook pancakes about 2-3 minutes per side, or until golden brown.
- Keep warm on a baking sheet in the oven, set to lowest possible temperature, until ready to serve.
- Makes approximately 12 medium pancakes.